Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Grandma's Reading Tree 2008


Yes there really is a tree painted under all the beautiful leaves ! This is the 4th year I have done this contest. I started this because, I was such a poor,slow, reader,speller. I was never taught the importance of books and regrettably I did not read to my children like I wish I had. So I wanted to find a way to encourage all of us to find the joy, and help that can come into our lives from books.
Books have been a true life saver to me at many hard times in my life.
Each leaf on the tree represents one book title and the number of pages read. This year the leaves are layers thick and clear to the floor! At Thanksgiving I take the leaves down and count them up. Then awards are presented to winners of differant age groups, at our big family Christmas Eve party. Looking at all the leaves is a true joy for me. I will post the winners later.
"If you can read and don't read....you are no better off than those who can not read"

5 comments:

  1. Mom, this has been a source of encouragement for our kids because they want a leaf on your tree. There is nothing like a little healthy competition to encourage participation. I think it goes without question that you are the biggest advocate for reading in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This tree is a fantastic thing! I need to have more endurance with it! We are sooooo grateful that you do it. What a fantastic legacy you are creating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you, Diana for doing this for our grandchildren. I can think of few things that are more important than encouraging kids to read! The tree looks really pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana, What a great way to encourage your grandchildren to read! The tree looks really pretty, too. The Grands tell me how much they look forward to the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new little baby, Shadow,(love the name) is adorable. Who wouldn't love that face. I like your "Happy Place". My friend calls that room her "doo-Dah" room. Right now might "room" is all over the house.

    ReplyDelete